More About the Clarion Church of God...

When visiting our church, please fill out a Friendship & Communication card that is located in back of each pew; place it in the offering plate or hand it to an Usher.
Also, for those worshiping with us for the first time... we have a gift for you. Please stop @ the Welcome Center in the Narthex by the Main Entrance to pick it up.


Wednesday, November 7, 2012

AAA Life Services


Dear Friend of AAA:

Back in the day, actually way back in the day, I really enjoyed riding roller coasters. I didn't shrink back and looked forward to the ride, knowing I would scream my lungs out the whole time. Today, not so much, I very carefully select the one and only roller coaster I will ride on a given day. I look for a mild one that isn't near the thrill or risk that I was game for in the past. Maybe I am wiser now and that is why this type of risk is not near as attractive or maybe I've ridden one too many roller coasters through life experiences that have left an indelible mark.

A little over two months ago your financial investment helped AAA Life Services ride a roller coaster of sorts regarding a young woman that came to our office for services. This ride began with a phone call late in the day. Connie was the first to speak with her and then asked that I take over to navigate the nature of some of her questions. Our desire is to have anyone with lots of questions and needs that we believe we can address, come into the office. However, in this case she ruled the invitation out, because she lived 30 minutes away.

The following day she called again and this time Hilary answered. She was pretty hysterical after taking two pregnancy tests and they were both positive. Hilary very reassuringly suggested that she take a deep breath and try to calm down. Once again, listening and learning from her what her greatest concerns were; another invitation was offered. This time she agreed.

As she and I talked in the counseling room, I began to hear all the reasons why having a baby at this time was not possible. With each reason, I countered with a reason that this could work. At some point there was a shift in our conversation and questions started coming that pertained to pregnancy: what do you eat, what should you do or not do? Wow, I started to enjoy the ride at this point. Eventually, I asked if I could give her one of the little baby models that we have and she seemed excited. I took another step and asked if she would be open to a few baby items, and again the answer was, "Yes".

The baby items were wrapped in a "baby bundle". These were given to us by a group of pre-school mothers and they are packed with baby items, books, and journals. With each item her excitement increased and then she asked if she was allowed to be excited. When she left she was flying high and so were we. Connie, Hilary, and I had all talked to her at some point and heard the impossible state of this pregnancy. Now this ride is on an upswing and looking good!

Unfortunately, the next day the coaster came crashing down and the possibilities for this child to live were bleak. The communication was more of the same as she said it could never work and I'm saying it could.  When the call ended the ride seemed to come to a screeching halt ... not coasting to a pleasant stop. 

Then a month later the ride started all over again with an out of the blue phone call. There was joy back in her voice. We've decided to keep the baby was what she said. Then she went on to tell me the day before the abortion was scheduled her boyfriend came home and told her to cancel the appointment. As they talked the conclusion was that they could make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are monitored & will not appear immediately.